This Desert Hostel is now waitlist only. To be put on the waitlist, please contact Tour Coordinator Joan Carskaddan at 760-767-0446 Option 4
A geologic introduction to the Colorado Plateau's Grand Staircase, its fossil resources, and hidden scenic attractions
September 17 – 27, 2014
Instructor: Paul Remeika
ABF Members Only: $1675/person, $350 single person supplement
Join earth scientist Paul Remeika on a wonderful ten-day, high-clearance AWD geologic trek across the layered Mesozoic “Sleeping Rainbow” backcountry of Utah’s Grand Staircase. This special Desert Hostel field trip highlights the natural wonders within the Dinosaur Triangle, between the cities of Grand Junction, Colorado, and Vernal and Price, Utah.
The wonder of discovery will be experienced at many points of interest and supported with visits to the Dinosaur Journey Museum, Dinosaur National Monument, the Field Natural History Museum, and Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry in the San Rafael Swell. Farther south, more secrets are revealed on field excursions to examine fossil footprints, bones, shell beds, and petrified forests in and around Capitol Reef National Park, along the Waterpocket Fold, and in the Circle Cliffs and Devil’s Garden of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
Hiking opportunities await as we explore the spectacular countryside in detail along the San Rafael Reef in Goblin Valley, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, the Red Desert and Zion Canyon. Not to be overlooked is our scenic, full-day raft trip on the Green River south of the Flaming Gorge Dam to Little Hole, Discovery Day at Bryce Canyon National Park, and an optional day eleven for anyone interested in a private tour of the Dinosaur Discovery Site at Johnson Farm in the St. George Basin.
- Accommodations: 3 nights at Best Western Dinosaur Inn, Vernal, UT; 1 night River Terrace Inn, Green River, UT; 2 nights at Best Western Capitol Reef Resort, Torrey, UT; 1 night at Prospector Inn, Escalante, UT; 2 nights at Bryce Canyon Inn Cabins, Tropic, UT; 1 night at Bumbleberry Inn, Springdale, UT. All rooms are non-smoking double occupancy with limited single availability.
- Tour price includes lodging, sack lunches, all local event fees, Paul’s descriptive daily travelogue, and final group dinner.
What's Not Included:
- Breakfasts and Dinners are on your own - We do not include or charge for breakfasts and dinners. This frees participants to enjoy eating when and where they prefer, and to choose the foods and portion size they desire. Since many restaurants are unable to accommodate large groups eating together, this has been a favorable solution. Most lodges include expanded continental breakfast.
- Alcoholic beverages (BYOB)
- Gratuities to local guides
- Transportation - participants are required to bring their own vehicles and carpooling is encouraged. We expect to travel at least 350 miles during the field trip and vehicles should be well maintained and in good working order. A 2WD high-clearance vehicle is required. Expect some improved gravel roads or non-maintained dirt roads.
Most stops will feature informative field study. Short hikes to points of interest can be on uneven terrain within close proximity to the vehicles. Planned hikes may be one-mile one-way. All participants must be 18 years or older. Carry water, food, and first-aid equipment in your vehicle. Bring waterproof rain gear, sturdy shoes, a hat and dress in layers for all weather conditions. Remember to bring a folding camp chair, camera, binoculars and your National Parks Pass.
$200/person deposit is required at sign-up. Full payment is due by July 31, 2014.
- Cancel prior to June 1, 2014, $50 per person is not refundable.
- Cancel between June 1 and July 31, $200 per person is not refundable.
- Cancel August 1 or after no refund unless we can fill your reservation.
- If ABF cancels a trip, we will issue a full refund or credit.
Sorry but no exceptions can be made to this policy. We understand that unforeseen and emergency circumstances may arise, but our nonprofit organization operates on a limited budget. This policy enables us to sustain our programs even with last minute cancellations.
For questions and further inquiries, please contact Tour Coordinator Joan Carskaddan at 760-767-0446, option 4.