Online registration is now closed.
You can register for the Symposium in person on Friday evening or Saturday morning at the Research Center.
December 1-3, 2017
Join us for a three-day educational event where anthropological research and cultural heritage raise public awareness and understanding to promote respect for our past and an appreciation of diversity.
CALL FOR POSTER ABSTRACTS
We invite students and researchers to submit abstracts for posters to be presented at the symposium’s Welcome Reception on Friday, December 1 from 4-7 p.m. Posters are sought on original research in the Colorado Desert region focusing on archaeology, anthropology, history, cultural issues related to renewable energy projects, and preservation of cultural resources. All poster presenters will receive free admission to the symposium.
Deadline: The deadline for electronic submission is November 1 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. All authors will be notified via email on or before November 15.
SUBJECTS & SPEAKERS
- The Archaeology of the 130,000-year-old Cerutti Mastodon Site – Steven R. & Kathleen Holen
- Hydrogeologic Effects of Kumeyaay Rock Drop Structures – Michael Connolly Miskwish (Kumeyaay ancestry)
- The Ethnobotany Project: Contemporary Uses of Native Plants – Deborah Small & Rose Ramirez (Chumash ancestry)
- Science Explorers Club on Indian Reservations in San Diego County – Eleanora (Norrie) Robbins, PhD
- Colorado Desert Rock Art – Steven M. Freers
- Keynote Address: Where Indigenous Culture meets the Government – Russell Cahill
Four symposium tour options are available on Sunday, December 3 for $15 per person. Pre-registration is required.
Welcome Reception & Poster Session
Friday, December 1, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
Free of charge; Open to the public
Saturday, December 2, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Morning Field Tours
Sunday, December 3, 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (times will vary)
Admission includes entry to the Welcome Reception on Friday and all speaker sessions on Saturday. No meals will be provided. Entry to the Welcome Reception is free and the public is welcome to attend.
Public Admission - $45
Student Admission - $25
Sunday Field Tour - $15
If you would like to register at the Student Rate, please email a photo of your student ID to Briana@TheABF.org to receive the student registration link.
Many thanks to our Symposium sponsors!
Anonymous Sponsor in Honor of Sam Webb
Sponsorship opportunities are still available. Learn more.