Thousands of visitors come to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park® each year to enjoy the beauty of unique and captivating desert wildflowers in bloom. With 92 different plant families, 346 genera and hundreds of flowering species, there is quite the variety of flora to discover! There are many factors that determine when, how many and which blooms will appear in any given season. A combination of sun, rain, temperature and wind set the stage for the springtime arrival of wildflowers. So, when is the best time to experience this phenomenon? That is one of the most frequently asked questions at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park! It is very difficult to answer, as each year’s conditions can vary greatly. However, the second week of March is often the peak of the wildflower bloom. When all conditions are perfect you will see the carpets of flowers you often see in the media.
2020’s wildflower bloom is just about to begin. We anticipate scattered blooms to appear throughout the Park in mid-February. Check back for more details and bloom locations.
Ways to get around Anza-Borrego Desert State Park:
Take a Hike: Come prepared for hiking into some of the most beautiful areas by bringing sturdy shoes, layers of clothes, hat, sunscreen, water and snacks. Stop by the Park Visitor Center or the Anza-Borrego Foundation State Park Store for information on where to go.
Bike It: Bring your mountain bike or rent one from Bike Borrego.
You can even take a fully guided e-bike tour, creating an easy reach for riders with varying
levels of fitness and cycling experience to get our into the Park.
Overland It: Plan a desert tour with our friends at California Overland.
Get way out, beyond the most visited areas, to see not only wildflowers but some of the most
incredible resources of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
Stay Connected and Be Prepared:
1. Sign up for ABF’s email updates to receive communication about the bloom.
2. Check Anza-Borrego Desert State Park’s website for road conditions, safety tips and best routes to take when traveling to the Park or call the Visitor Center at 760-767-4205.
3. Call the Wildflower Hotline: (760) 767-4684
4. Check out our Facebook page and share your images with us #anzaborrego
5. Visit our State Park Store for free information, wildflower brochures, books, and all your needs for heading out into the desert.
6. Plan your stay in advance, visit Reserve California to book a site for camping in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.